Emergency Rental Assistance Programs
City of San Diego - Application Period Now Open!
Housing providers can submit an application on behalf of their tenant. The program is required to give priority to paying past-due, unpaid rent. The program can pay 80% of a tenant’s past-due, unpaid rent for the period of April 1, 2020, through March 31, 2021, but only if the housing provider agrees to waive the remaining 20%.
If a landlord does not agree to these terms, the program can pay 25 percent of the tenant’s past-due, unpaid rent. If funds remain available after past-due, unpaid rent payments have been made for qualifying households, the program can pay up to 25 percent of the tenant’s upcoming monthly rent for April 2021 through June 2021. Rent payments will be made by direct deposit to the housing provider and utility provider. A check will be mailed for the rent if the housing provider does not do business with a financial institution. If a housing provider declines to accept payment, the program will provide a payment to the tenant. Rent payments will equal 25 percent of the rent the tenant owes.
County of San Diego - Application period extended through end of March!
See FAQ below for more program details. Visit the County Website for a qualified income chart as well as flyers and FAQs in other languages. SCRHA encourages you to share these documents with residents and/or post them at your property.
Limited to 80% of past due rent from April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021 AND only if the landlord forgives the remaining 20% of past due rent.
If the landlord is not willing to forgive the 20%, then assistance will be limited to 25% of past due rent from April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021.
Past due utility bills for gas & electric, water, or sewer from April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021.
Future rent, limited to 25% of rent, and utility assistance for 3 months at a time.
Not sure which program applies to your property in the San Diego region? Click here for a map/search feature.
The County of Riverside will again be partnering with United Lift to administer their Emergency Rental Assistance Program. The program will provide one-time rental assistance support to cover up to 12 months of unpaid rent during the period between March 13, 2020 until the time of application, plus an additional three months of future rent. Eligibility is limited to renters in Riverside County with a current lease agreement who are earning 80 percent or below the area’s median income and can document a loss of income due to COVID-19.
Imperial County Rental Assistance via State Program - Opens Monday, March 15 at 5:00 p.m.
Important SB 91 Deadlines:
Defined Payment Periods
Resources from The State of California
No COVID-19-Related Evictions Until June 30, 2021
Tenants Still Responsible for Paying Unpaid Amounts to Landlords
Additional Legal and Financial Protections for Tenants
Properties who must comply with state or local health orders and close amenities like pools or gyms, are not considered to have violated the rental agreement.
Just Cause and Other Provisions (1179.03.5.): Just Cause is in place immediately for all rental properties in most cases. Substantial remodel as cause is temporarily limited as is cause relating to sale of a property.
Before July 1, 2021, a court may not find a tenant guilty of an unlawful detainer unless it finds that one of the following applies: